Yesterday was a gorgeous day. I am from Long Island, and my parents and I took our truck onto the beach. We got there at 3:00, and the beach was absolutely beautiful. It was barely crowded, and the sounds of waves cashing against the surf was more relaxing than I can describe. Oh, and they allow DOGS on this beach!!!!
A year and a half ago, my parents got a new puppy! Meet “Bear”:
This dog is obsessed with the water… can’t you tell??
If these pictures don’t put a smile on your face, I don’t know what will!
Ok, enough gushing about my dog!
Before the beach, I wanted something that would keep me full for a long time, but not give me an uncomfortable “Holy crap I just ate so much” feeling.
Answer to my dilemma: SMOOTHIE
Smoothies are an awesome way to fill your tummy with nutrients, and will keep you satisfied for a long time. I prefer Blended smoothies to Juicing because you keep all of the fiber from the fruit and vegetables in the blending process. When you juice, you are taking all of the fiber out, and you are left with the liquid or “juice” that the fruit/vegetable produces. Juicing is a great way to get an extra dose of veggies and fruits, but it is important to make sure you are getting enough fiber! (and not the kind from a pill people).
I’m sure you will see a number of smoothie recipes posted on my blog.. here is the first!
PB&Q Smoothie (Peanut butter and quinoa!)
- 1 frozen banana
- frozen blueberries (about one cup, but I don’t measure)
- Spinach (Try adding greens to your smoothies…I PROMISE you can’t taste it and it gives you an added dose of those leafys!!!)
- 1-2 tbs nut butter (I use Sunbutter, but peanut butter, almond butter etc will work just fine!)
- 1 tbs coco powder (not optional in my option, but I’m a chocolate fiend)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- sweetener of choice (I use stevia)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (Optional)
- 1 tsp coconut extract (Optional)
- 1-2 tbs cooked quinoa
- ice (how much is up to you, but if you add too much the peanut butter flavor will be watered down…you can always add more!)
- a dash of salt (helps bring out flavor)
Option 1: Blend all ingredients together EXCEPT quinoa. After transferring smoothie to a cup, add the quinoa on top and mix in. Enjoy!
Option 2: Blend all ingredients together. Enjoy!
::Sigh:: I love summer 🙂